How do I print from my own computer to campus printers?
From ITS Wiki
Mac Manual Configuration
- Open System Preferences.
- Select the Preference pane for 'Printer & Fax'.
- Select the '+' sign in the left panel to add a new printer.
- If this does not work make sure your preference pane is unlocked. Meaning you see a open padlock in the lower left corner. If it is locked click it and type your password to unlock it.
- In the new window that has popped up select 'IP' from the top menu.
- Fill in the fields as follows:
- Protocol: Leave the default protocol of 'Line Printer Daemon -LPD.
- Address: ikon-server.centre.edu
- Queue: pharos
- Name: Here you can enter whatever name you will recognize as the lab printers. ITS recommends "Ricoh Campus Queue"
- Location: You don't need to type anything here.
- Print Using: Select the option "Select Printer Software" and select the entry for Ricoh Aficio MP 3350 PS".
- Click 'Add'.
- A window for Installable Options will appear select the options as follows for the Ricoh Copiers:
- Option Tray: Not Installed
- Bypass Tray: Installed
- Upper Internal Tray: Not Installed
- Shift Tray: Not Installed
- Finisher: Finisher SR790
- Duplex Unit: Installed
- Click 'Continue'
Your Printer is now set up and you can print to the printer you have just added and it will show up in the list of jobs at all of the pharos stations with printers you have selected. You can repeat these steps for the other model printers as well if you want access to all print locations on campus
- If you have OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) You should check for updates, as there will be an update to you RICOH Print driver.
PC Manual Configuration
This article was written with the assumption that the user is running Windows Vista or Windows 7. If you have Windows XP the directions will, for the most part, be correct, however there may be minor differences. The steps are somewhat involved, as there are many steps, but the actual configuration is relatively easy if you follow the steps.
- First, click on Start, then "Devices and printers". You can also navigate to this menu from the Control Panel, hardware and Sound, Devices and Printers.
- Click on the "Add a printer" button.
- When it asks what type, select "Local Printer" and click next.
- In the next menu, select the radio button for "Create a new port" and in the drop down select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and click next.
- In the hostname field, type "ikon-server.centre.edu" and click next.
- Note: If you have already configured a port with this address the port name may have a number appended
- The system will now attempt to discover the proper port information for the printer. This is normal.
- When it completes it should have "Standard" selected for device type, and "Generic Network Card" under the drop down menu. Click next.
- The system will now attempt to discover the proper driver for the printer. It will fail, this is normal.
- Click "Have Disk" and copy and paste the following path: \\neptune.centre.edu\Printers\Printer Drivers (RICOH)\Universal PCL6 then click Browse.
- It should now show a "PCL6 Driver for Universal Print", click next.
- For the printer name, type in Campus Ricoh Queue and hit next
- It will now install the printer driver, this may take some time. If it asks you if you want to reinstall a driver, select that you want to use the existing one.
- If may ask if you want to share the printer, select Do not share this printer option and click next.
- You should now be back at the Devices and Printers menu. Find the new printer and right click, then select "Printer Properties". It may take a moment to load
- Note: "Printer Properties", not "Properties". These are 2 different things.
- Once it has opened, click on the Ports tab and click "Configure Port..."
- Under Protocol, select "LPR" and under the LPR Settings, enter Pharos as the queue name, then click ok.
- Hit ok on any remaining menus and you are ready to print!